Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey Everyone,

I've been using ReStream for a while but have just recently started hearing about the negatives of using the service.  My thought process was hitting multiple streams at the same time would help get some exposure and see what network I get the most traction on.  However, some of my streamer friends have been saying that they found it alienated their audiences and it actually turned some people away.  They instead choose to stream on one service at any given time and simply swap between services.

I would be interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this.  Should I continue using ReStream or should I switch to exclusive streaming?

My personal opinion is that Re-Streaming is fine, as long as you can communicate with both audiences.

The only way it would be alienating is if you alienated one of them. So as long as you keep up with both. You should have no problems.

Maybe that is short sighted, because I've had CGN Members complain to me personally about someone restreaming. But I don't see why it would be a problem if the platforms allow it.

My opinion is that what your doing is fine, but I prefer if the streamer is focused on one audience so there is not multiple conversations going on at once therefore everyone can know what is happening and not get confused what the streamer is on about. There is always the option for doing half the stream on one site, then switching over to the other if you want to have a single audience not 2 separate audiences, and I know fellow Mixer people might agree with me as it is a community based website, but restreaming is fine if its what you enjoy. :) 

I use restream to give people more options to watch in a different area. some of my twitch followers have slow internet and they cant watch unless the quality can be changed (at 10 viewers). So they jump over to youtube to watch and chat. I mostly focus on my twitch crowd but make sure to still chat with new people on the other services. 

Just now, Keira said:

My opinion is that what your doing is fine, but I prefer if the streamer is focused on one audience so there is not multiple conversations going on at once therefore everyone can know what is happening and not get confused what the streamer is on about. There is always the option for doing half the stream on one site, then switching over to the other if you want to have a single audience not 2 separate audiences, and I know fellow Mixer people might agree with me as it is a community based website, but restreaming is fine if its what you enjoy. :) 

Half a stream on one website and half on another?
That just sounds ludicrous to me. I don't understand the idea of splitting the two platforms. It just seems like it will create more tension and alienate users even more. 

Instead of bringing them together you are splitting them apart and forcing them to pick a side.

Maybe it's just me, but it feels like the Mixer Staff and the Mixer Community want different things.
Because I hear Mixer users talking about how they don't like Restreamers (especially from Twitch and Youtube) on the platform, because it's a community based platform.

While the staff is on the other end suggesting to members that they should be restreaming.

mixer restream.jpg

It reminds me way too much of how after Amazon bought Twitch they were suggesting to Gamers with big audiences to stream to Twitch.tv.

While the original Justin.tv Users were complaining about new blood coming in and taking away from the community they had built.

And we all know what happened to the original Justin.tv Gamers. They ended up being pushed out by bigger and better talent or they were forced to evolve.

You can see it happening now with Mixer, and I'm afraid that if the older community members don't open up. They are going to be pushed out by the new blood.

I just heard of a few people suggesting that, never saw anyone do it before. I dont agree with it but I know some people enjoy doing that. I know Mixer isnt bothered by restreams and they enjoy getting restreamers but its the tension from the Twitch viewers what might not like it thats all

Guest JanPlays

i used to restream. now that i look back at it, i regret it.

you need to keep focused on one community, and you need to evolve, monthly. in order to remain fresh and in order to remain popular.

you cant do that splitting your stream up, or streaming to 2 places at once.

3 hours ago, Keira said:

Restream's chat app allows you to conversate with everyone and share the chatter from one service with all of them, not to mention you can put the chat app up on screen with an overlay (browser source, instructions in the chat app). If you aren't using overlays and don't have the app set to broadcast the entire conversation to everyone then yes you could possibly alienate people, but if you're doing that then you aren't using your available tools to their fullest potential. 

Hi hi, just my opinion!

I don't really like following a person who is doing restream. I understand that there's an app where you can see all the chats, so you may not necessarily be ignoring your audience, but it definitely gives that vibe. I'm on Mixer and one of the big reasons I chose Mixer is because of the incredibly low latency. I've noticed many people doing restream will suffer from their stream being behind by 15+ seconds. Since I'm dedicated to Mixer, I'm absolutely spoiled and can't watch non-FTL anymore. Yes, there are ways to rig it up so it can be lower latency, but restreaming just puts a bad taste in my mouth. I also really hate the chat being cluttered by 2-3 different streaming platforms and not being able to communicate with other people in the chat if they're on a different platform. If they aren't dedicated to Mixer, I'm just not interested in watching.

I think, more than anything, that consistency and a schedule will help you build your platform more than restream. I think being active in your discord and twitter and making an effort to get to know your followers and connect with other streamers on the same platform will help you build your platform more than restream. I think that constantly working on how you can better engage one audience will help you build your platform more than restream. Shout out commands, fun bot games, an interactive soundboard / video board, bean boozle challenges, streaming for charity, working on your overlay, etc. I think that all shows dedication and helps you build your platform more than restream.

No one is saying restreaming is against the rules. Clearly it isn't. Clearly Mixer / Twitch / Etc don't care if you do that so long as you aren't partnered / an affiliate. But, myself and many other streamers/viewers will not watch restreams. Same with rebroadcasts. I won't watch a channel that does rebroadcasts / are not actually live, and maaaany members of the community feel this way. 

Edited by Esca

I've been using ReStream.io for 9 months and I love it.

It allows your followers & subscribers to communicate with each other during streams from many platforms.
*Make sure to set up the ReStream Chat so that communication is viable between them.

I don't like the concept of separation and different platforms when you can bring them together simultaneously.

HOWEVER, I do agree that it is more work and effort to keep attentive of both sides. So if you don't have the time to spend on both fronts, then just do the one. Isolationism happens when you aren't as involved in one as you are the other; it's better to focus on one if two are too much of a load to handle.

I keep communication active with both Twitch & YouTube and have a bot (Stream Elements) that interacts with both platforms on either side.

Also, I actually recommend my followers to use both sides, as Twitch is only for streaming and YouTube is for the uploads later, if they want to watch the recordings they missed.

As for upload and latency issues, yes, certain platforms are slower than others - that's just how it is and if people can't stand it, then they can stick to what they like.

Edited by ArcanicVoid