unMasqed

Starting into making videos - help!

Hey all!

I'm trying to make sure that, along with getting more streams in per week, I'm getting at least 1-2 videos up on my channel per week. Unfortunately, I'm fairly new to the whole gameplay recording deal and I would love advice. Currently, I'm just recording games with OBS (since I want my overlays in the games I play), and I have no idea what other kinds of recording or editing software there is that'd be good for this. I'd love any advice, on software, video advice, anything.

All my links - Twitch, YouTube, Twitter, etc. - are on my profile for examples of what I'm doing right now.

Thank you!!

Hey There

I would say that OBS is definitely one of the more popular recording software's available. Primarily because it's free and easy enough to master.

I myself used OBS for some time but I was bottle necking in some games because of my cpu limitations.

As a result I opted to seek out a new recording software that utilized more GPU rather than CPU.

If you're going this route you have two options. Nvidia's Shadowplay and Mirillis Action! (https://mirillis.com/en/products/action.html)

Shadowplay is free but you need to be using an Nvida card. Mirellis Action is about $30.

Shadowplay

Pros:

Amazing video quality with 0 lag or stuttering

Cons: 

Cumbersome at times. Also, if you're using an older operating system like Windows 7 then your recording time is limited. I'm a windows 7 user and I noticed when I recorded it would only do 10-15 min videos at a time. So I essentially had 10+ files for a standard playthrough vs one large file. This was annoying to me. However, this would be worth revisiting because it may have been fixed or this might not apply to you if you're using a newer version of windows.

The best quality videos will be quite large. Comparable to OBS'S Lossless Quality.

When you alt tab out of the game there is a good chance that your recording will cease.

Your microphone quality is ****ing horrific. (This is a known issue but I'm not sure if it has been resolved). Alternatively, you could record your game video and sound through Shadowplay and have you're personal microphone record through OBS as a FLV. You would then need to convert the FLV to mp3. It's a few extra steps but it's a work around.

Mirillis Action!

Pros:

Fantastic video quality.

Amazing GUI and interface which shows how much HDD space you have and your FPS.

Cons:

Max quality videos are  rather large. This isn't a problem if you don't save RAW footage for months at a time like me lol

It's a paid program which to me isn't a con but everyone has their own budget.

I hope this helps.

Also, feel free to check out my Video critique thread in this forum. Just make sure you read the guidelines :)

Edited by Oh Snap A Cupcake
I left the murder weapon at the scene of the crime :(

^^ agree with previous comment if theres gameplay i need for a customers intro or a cinematic shot i use shadowplay but be aware of limitations on older OS, as for the editing itself most of the time just for cutting and putting together any free software will do, if your wanting to add special fx to your video then theres options. simplest to use will be magix/sony vegas pro. comes with alot of effects out the box simple ui to understand and renders fast. if you want more advanced then id go for a mixture of Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro. i use these daily and can give you pointers if needed.

Guest MahdDogg

OBS Studio now incorporates GPU encoding for both recording and streaming for both AMD and NVIDIA cards. AMD also released ReLive with their Crimson Driver Software which I've been using to record. As for editing a good free Non-Linear Editing system is Lightworks which you can pick up here https://www.lwks.com/ personally I use Adobe Premiere, but that is VERY costly. I only have it as my full time job is as an editor. What I would also recommend is if you are using shadowplay or Relive you re-encode your recordings to Constant Frame Rate using a tool such as Handbrake https://handbrake.fr/ as some editing software doesn't like the variable frame rate that shadowplay and relive record in (ReLive advertises Constant Frame Rate, but it doesn't actually do it). Without converting you will end up with terrible sound sync issues in some professionally focussed NLEs

Hmm, with your configuration to start the game will be challenging. But, it depends on the game. The game maybe isn't working on your video graphics card. Anyway, did you thought getting an nvidia gtx? Yeah, I know prices now are horrible. But there are some excellent models at a pretty sweet price. I saw yesterday gtx 1660, which is the most popular with its power for such price. But, there are more models for 1660. If someone will buy or is thinking, check out this article(Should I get 1660 Ti or 1660 super?). I hope I was able to help someone!

Edited by Cornyx

The slope game may appear simple, but playing it will provide you with a high adrenaline rush. It would help if you kept in mind that you will avoid obstacles and red blocks. Please stay on track at all times. You can get a high score if you stay on track at all times. You might even see your name on the leaderboard.